Monday 25 February 2008

Osgood Schlatters Disease.

hi punkettes...

Today, I spent about 5 hours in Woodlands Polyclinic. Why?
Because of my knee.
Argh! It is getting to get worst.
I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to go to the doctor and get a X-ray.

Woke up at 10am, I didn't have breakfast, just tea and then went to the polyclinic with mum.
About 2 hours of waiting for my queue number, I have to go for an X-ray.
In the X-ray room is so damn cold! Brrr...I was like freezing in there.
Then, after about an 1hr later, I went to see the doctor again for the results.

The doctor said I have a disease. It shocked me for a bit, when the doctor said 'disease'.
So the disease that I have is, "Osgood-Schlatter's Disease"

At home I decided to research about this disease.
Here's what a website says:
"Osgood-Schlatter's disease is a condition that usually affects those between the ages of 10-15 years who are physically active and in a ‘growth spurt’."

"It is characterized by soreness and swelling over a bump (tuberosity) near the top of the shin bone (tibia) known as the tibial tuberosity. This tibial tuberosity may also increase in size as the condition progresses, and can affect one or both lower limbs."

What causes this disease?
"It is believed that Osgood-Schlatter disease results from the pull of the large powerful muscles in the front of the thigh (called the quadriceps). The quadriceps join with the patellar tendons, which run through the knee and into the tibia, to connect the muscles to the knee. When the quadriceps contract, the patellar tendons can start to pull away from the shin bone, causing pain.

This problem becomes more noticeable during activities that require running, jumping or going up or down stairs. It's most common in young athletes who play football, soccer or basketball or are involved in gymnastics and ballet."

The words is yellow are exactly what the doctor describe to me.
Wow, I had this disease all along, since I was in Primary school.
Usually this disease occurs in young athletes.
No wonder I had this, cuz I've been active in tracks since 10 years old.

The doctor said I should go and refer to the hospital.
Mum asked whether this disease is serious or not. Thankfully, nope.
It doesn't require surgery. Phew! But still I have to go the hospital and see what they recommend me to do.

So I can't jog that much ppl, Erika I can't go gym that much but I can go swimming. =)
I can't jog often too until the pain goes away.
Which means, I can't dance too?! Oh bollocks!

Oh ya! I saw a cutie while waiting for my queue number.
His face seems familiar cuz it reminds me of my primary school friend.
It could be him, but I didn't ask. Hehe! =)

So that's about it for my day.
And I hate waiting. Urgh!

toodles...cheerio
Kayla Anika



No comments:

Post a Comment